Richard Sherman's dad stands up for his boy after a flood of racist abuse online
- RIchard Sherman's parents Beverley and Kevin give interview in which they defend their son
- Stanford graduate and straight-A student Sherman received tide of racial insults after adrenaline-fueled rant at 49ers rival on Sunday
- Said: 'At least some respect MLK's dream'
- He defended his comments as being fueled by the heat of the moment
- But he maintains that he 'doesn't like' Michael Crabtree as friends reveal they came close to blows at fundraiser last year
- Tom Brady also appeared to criticize Sherman for not having grace in victory
By Andy Milne
PUBLISHED: 14:47 EST, 21 January 2014 | UPDATED: 14:57 EST, 21 January 2014
Richard Sherman may have been condemned with racist abuse in the wake of his spirited post-game rant on Sunday, but according to his parents he is simply being misunderstood.
Sherman, who grew up in Compton, Los Angeles and was educated at Stanford University set tongues wagging at homes and online after he launched into a tirade on live television against San Francisco receiver Michael Crabtree.
Even though he justified his trash-talking because of the rush of victory in the NFC Championship game, thousands took to Twitter to criticize what they called classless comments - but in an interview on Monday his parents Kevin and Beverley denied their son was at fault.
Scroll Down for Video
Proud and supportive: Beverley and Kevin Sherman brushed off any criticism of their son Richard after his brash rant on live television on Sunday night
'People really misunderstand my son,' Sherman’s father Kevin told CBS2/KCAL9′s Bobby Kaple.
'My son off the field is probably one of the best people you want to know. I mean, everything he does is for other people.'
Sherman's parents were unaware of their son's controversial interview in which he called Crabtree a 'sorry receiver' and boasted about how he 'shut his mouth real quick' in a heated interview with Fox's Erin Andrews.
But his mother Beverley said that she is still so proud of her son, 'who never ceases to amaze me.'
Thousands of people took to Twitter to direct racially charged insults at Sherman, with many hate-filled posts suggesting the corner's race was behind his larger-than-life behavior.
Others including New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady criticised Sherman for a lack of professionalism.
And the Stanford educated straight-A student today blasted back, saying: 'Last night shows that racism is still alive and well... And that's so sad.... At Least some people respect MLKs dream'.
Target: Richard Sherman tweeted his disgust at the flood of racist abuse he has received in the wake of his live tv rant to million
'It's a small part of who I am': Richard Sherman said adrenaline and a long-standing grudge made him launch his attack on Michael Crabtree
Crucial moment: Richard Sherman (25) hit the ball away from San Francisco's Michael Crabtree (15) to prevent a game winning touchdown in the dying moments of last night's NFC Championship game
He also penned a column titled ‘To Those Who Would Call Me A Thug’ in which he said that it was 'sad and unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.'
carefully-worded piece in Sports Illustrated is not typical of a
football player and has caused many to reconsider their opinion of
Sherman after his rant, which he blames on 'adrenaline'.
Friends have also revealed that Crabtree and Sherman have been enemies since Crabtree allegedly tried to start a fight with Sherman at a fundraiser in Arizona held by receiver Larry Fitzgerald last year.
After preventing a game winning touchdown pass reaching Crabtree in the dying moments of last night’s game, Sherman said in a post-match interview: ‘When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're gonna get .... Don't you [Crabtree] ever talk about me! Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm gonna shut it for you real quick.'
And he today defended his comments, blaming the adrenaline in his system but saying of Crabtree ‘I just don’t like him’
wrote in Sports Illustrated: ‘It was loud, it was in the moment, and it
was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain,
because I’m not a villainous person.’
Sherman, who got straight As at
high school in Compton, graduated second in his class and attended Stanford,
penned the column after his actions attracted a wave of criticism. Much of it was racially charged, but others claimed his fired-up outburst was unprofessional.
His head coach Pete Carrol said he had talked to him about the outburst. He told ESPN: 'It's unfortunate that it was so crazed, but that's who he is. His mental make-up to get ready for that matchup was expressed right there so he could play the way he can play. Unfortunately, sharing with the world, it didn't come across so well."
Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady implied criticism of
Sherman, when he told NESN.com that his team ‘wins with graciousness’ as
opposed to the Seattle cornerback’s approach.
Well educated: Sherman was a straight A student at high school and went to Stanford on a football scholarship
Firing back: Crabtree responded to Sherman's rant on Twitter
Sherman also attempted to defend himself on social media
Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander said Sherman would get a ‘high and tight fastball’ for the remarks.
The New York Daily News columnist Mike Lupica said Sherman ‘acted and sounded like an idiot’.
Friends have revealed to the Seattle Times that Sherman vowed to humiliate Crabtree after the pair almost fought at a fundraiser held by Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald last year.
But others have sprung to Sherman’s defence, pointing out that the comments were made only moments after the game had finished.
is a mandatory ten minute cooling off period for players before they
talk to the media in the locker room after games, but this does not
include on-field interviews.
USA Today writer Chris Chase wrote, '
Sherman is brash, loud and so self-centered he makes Kanye look like a
wallflower. He’s also the best corner in the game and on his way to the
'You don’t have to like it, Michael, but you at least need to
understand it. Next time you beat Richard Sherman, you can talk all you
Crabtree responded to Sherman's rant on Twitter by saying, 'Film don't lie... @nflnetwork @espn pull up the tape of that game and show me where this guy is the best? #fake #fake #fake'
Criticism: Tom Brady appeared to criticize Sherman by saying the Patriots always try to win with grace. His team lost to the Denver Broncos last night
Sherman remained unruffled after Crabtree's twitter response to his fiery rant
Trading insults: Crabtree is one of the top receivers for the San Francisco 49ers
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Woman is JAILED for not returning a video she rented NINE years ago - even though the store has now gone out of business
Kayla Michelle Finley rented Monster-in-Law as an 18-year-old but forgot to return inIn the interim nine years, video shop went out of business but warrant ...
- 'Wow I just won the Olympics': American Sage Kotsenburg wins first Sochi gold medal in Men's Slopestyle
- Twitter's top swear words revealed: Researchers find one in 13 tweets contains a curse
- Fugitive Nazis who built a paedophile paradise in the sun
- Pshonka's palace a treasure trove of total opulence: Journalists and protestors enter his estate to find extravaganza of luxury
- Hollywood villain? No... our slave owner great grandfather was the very model of morality! Astonishing claim by family outraged by Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal in hit film 12 Years A Slave
- Producer's callous words as film shoot shuts down after female crew member is killed by train
- Amputee veteran turned away by Starbucks who won't let his service dog in store
- Rise of the me first mothers: Changing nappies in restaurants. Brazenly promoting their little darlings. CATHERINE OSTLER identifies an infuriating new breed of parent
- Sony World Photography Awards capture everyday struggles across the world
- Silvio Berlusconi divorces Veronica Lario, freeing Francesca Pascale to marry him
- Texas teen Mackenzie Wethington, 16, survives half-a-mile skydiving mishap
- Does your husband work long hours? Then you're the healthiest type of woman (providing you work too)
- Meningococcal disease outbreak feared at East Chapel Hill High School
- Jessica Hess stabs do-gooder 5 times at Redneck Yacht Club mud party
- Why being in a bad mood can make you focus on short-term gain
- 'Naked' NYU student Titan Lee-Hai leaps to death from dorm roof
- Boone couple found dead in townhome
- Female Bosnian judge fired after she was photographed sunbathing naked on desk
- Mom Kimberly Fugate who was expecting triplets gives birth to identical QUADRUPLETS after fourth baby wasn't picked up on ultrasound
- Woman cuts off a tattoo of her cheating ex-boyfriend's name with a scalpel and POSTS the skin to him after he told her he was emigrating to Alaska but instead moved in with another woman
- Oscars 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch photobombs U2 on the red carpet
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Nigerian father arrested for fitting PADLOCK to son's mouth as he beat him to death
- Ice skating sensation Yulia Lipnitskaya, 15, expected to draw Russia's biggest sporting TV audience for tonight's skate-off against South Korean Olympic champion
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- One giant leap for diplomacy? American and two Russian astronauts land safely in middle of Kazakhstan in tiny capsule after 166-day Expedition 38 mission to NASA space station
- 'We know who one of the men on stolen passports on vanished plane was - and we don't think he is a terrorist': Malaysian police say he was Iranian asylum seeker, 19, on way to Europe
- Pistorius murder trial hears autopsy casts doubt on his claim he and Reeva Steenkamp went to bed at 10pm because she ate three hours later
- Real life Popeye doesn't eat spinach but injects himself with a potentially lethal cocktail of oil and ALCOHOL to grow monster arms
- Doctor RICHARD SAUL convinced ADHD doesn't exist
- The last thing you'd see if you were eaten by a crocodile: Footage from inside jaws of 5m monster after it tried to swallow camera
- Six autistic children injured after school bus flips over at busy New York City intersection after striking a taxi 'that had run a red light'
- Joe McGinnis, reporter whose work made Nixon hate the press and enraged Sarah Palin when he moved next door to write her unauthorized biography, is dead
- Cop who reported colleague's lewd remarks about Whitney Houston's dead body sues, claiming he was demoted for speaking up
- Did these men witness the last moments of the missing Malaysian jet? First possible sighting of plane going into the sea off Gulf of Thailand