Richard Sherman's dad stands up for his boy after a flood of racist abuse online
- RIchard Sherman's parents Beverley and Kevin give interview in which they defend their son
- Stanford graduate and straight-A student Sherman received tide of racial insults after adrenaline-fueled rant at 49ers rival on Sunday
- Said: 'At least some respect MLK's dream'
- He defended his comments as being fueled by the heat of the moment
- But he maintains that he 'doesn't like' Michael Crabtree as friends reveal they came close to blows at fundraiser last year
- Tom Brady also appeared to criticize Sherman for not having grace in victory
By Andy Milne
PUBLISHED: 14:47 EST, 21 January 2014 | UPDATED: 14:57 EST, 21 January 2014
Richard Sherman may have been condemned with racist abuse in the wake of his spirited post-game rant on Sunday, but according to his parents he is simply being misunderstood.
Sherman, who grew up in Compton, Los Angeles and was educated at Stanford University set tongues wagging at homes and online after he launched into a tirade on live television against San Francisco receiver Michael Crabtree.
Even though he justified his trash-talking because of the rush of victory in the NFC Championship game, thousands took to Twitter to criticize what they called classless comments - but in an interview on Monday his parents Kevin and Beverley denied their son was at fault.
Scroll Down for Video
Proud and supportive: Beverley and Kevin Sherman brushed off any criticism of their son Richard after his brash rant on live television on Sunday night
'People really misunderstand my son,' Sherman’s father Kevin told CBS2/KCAL9′s Bobby Kaple.
'My son off the field is probably one of the best people you want to know. I mean, everything he does is for other people.'
Sherman's parents were unaware of their son's controversial interview in which he called Crabtree a 'sorry receiver' and boasted about how he 'shut his mouth real quick' in a heated interview with Fox's Erin Andrews.
But his mother Beverley said that she is still so proud of her son, 'who never ceases to amaze me.'
Thousands of people took to Twitter to direct racially charged insults at Sherman, with many hate-filled posts suggesting the corner's race was behind his larger-than-life behavior.
Others including New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady criticised Sherman for a lack of professionalism.
And the Stanford educated straight-A student today blasted back, saying: 'Last night shows that racism is still alive and well... And that's so sad.... At Least some people respect MLKs dream'.
Target: Richard Sherman tweeted his disgust at the flood of racist abuse he has received in the wake of his live tv rant to million
'It's a small part of who I am': Richard Sherman said adrenaline and a long-standing grudge made him launch his attack on Michael Crabtree
Crucial moment: Richard Sherman (25) hit the ball away from San Francisco's Michael Crabtree (15) to prevent a game winning touchdown in the dying moments of last night's NFC Championship game
He also penned a column titled ‘To Those Who Would Call Me A Thug’ in which he said that it was 'sad and unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.'
carefully-worded piece in Sports Illustrated is not typical of a
football player and has caused many to reconsider their opinion of
Sherman after his rant, which he blames on 'adrenaline'.
Friends have also revealed that Crabtree and Sherman have been enemies since Crabtree allegedly tried to start a fight with Sherman at a fundraiser in Arizona held by receiver Larry Fitzgerald last year.
After preventing a game winning touchdown pass reaching Crabtree in the dying moments of last night’s game, Sherman said in a post-match interview: ‘When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're gonna get .... Don't you [Crabtree] ever talk about me! Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm gonna shut it for you real quick.'
And he today defended his comments, blaming the adrenaline in his system but saying of Crabtree ‘I just don’t like him’
wrote in Sports Illustrated: ‘It was loud, it was in the moment, and it
was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain,
because I’m not a villainous person.’
Sherman, who got straight As at
high school in Compton, graduated second in his class and attended Stanford,
penned the column after his actions attracted a wave of criticism. Much of it was racially charged, but others claimed his fired-up outburst was unprofessional.
His head coach Pete Carrol said he had talked to him about the outburst. He told ESPN: 'It's unfortunate that it was so crazed, but that's who he is. His mental make-up to get ready for that matchup was expressed right there so he could play the way he can play. Unfortunately, sharing with the world, it didn't come across so well."
Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady implied criticism of
Sherman, when he told NESN.com that his team ‘wins with graciousness’ as
opposed to the Seattle cornerback’s approach.
Well educated: Sherman was a straight A student at high school and went to Stanford on a football scholarship
Firing back: Crabtree responded to Sherman's rant on Twitter
Sherman also attempted to defend himself on social media
Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander said Sherman would get a ‘high and tight fastball’ for the remarks.
The New York Daily News columnist Mike Lupica said Sherman ‘acted and sounded like an idiot’.
Friends have revealed to the Seattle Times that Sherman vowed to humiliate Crabtree after the pair almost fought at a fundraiser held by Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald last year.
But others have sprung to Sherman’s defence, pointing out that the comments were made only moments after the game had finished.
is a mandatory ten minute cooling off period for players before they
talk to the media in the locker room after games, but this does not
include on-field interviews.
USA Today writer Chris Chase wrote, '
Sherman is brash, loud and so self-centered he makes Kanye look like a
wallflower. He’s also the best corner in the game and on his way to the
'You don’t have to like it, Michael, but you at least need to
understand it. Next time you beat Richard Sherman, you can talk all you
Crabtree responded to Sherman's rant on Twitter by saying, 'Film don't lie... @nflnetwork @espn pull up the tape of that game and show me where this guy is the best? #fake #fake #fake'
Criticism: Tom Brady appeared to criticize Sherman by saying the Patriots always try to win with grace. His team lost to the Denver Broncos last night
Sherman remained unruffled after Crabtree's twitter response to his fiery rant
Trading insults: Crabtree is one of the top receivers for the San Francisco 49ers
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
I'll drink to that! Hockey fans sue local arena for $10,000 after YouTube video shows large and small beer cups hold the SAME AMOUNT yet cost almost twice as much
The CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho, has been charging $3 more for a large beer despite the cup holding exactly the same as a regular ...
- Paul Walker's fatal crash blamed on 'unsafe speed,' officials say
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Houston man says divine providence led him to cancel trip on missing Malaysia flight
- Multimillionaire father exposes his ostentatious lifestyle in Chrisley Knows Best
- Get ready for the 'blood moons': Rare alignments of Mars, Earth and the sun 'associated with major religious events' begin this week
- Pictured: Angry wife who put up explicit posters accusing Walmart employee of having sex with her husband in the store where 'the mistress' works
- Challenge asks you to take the 'Plunge for Landon'
- Former Ankeny teacher charged with exploitation
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Belle Knox's Army doctor father returns from Afghanistan to find daughter is Duke porn star
- Girl, 15, killed by train on remote Texas tracks in suspected suicide
- Drone captures 2,500-year-old petroglyphs on film in Utah desert
- L'Wren Scott was recovering from 'self harm' incident a few weeks before suicide
- Captain Phillips' Barkhad Abdi stopped by immigration
- Paula the world's oldest sloth celebrates her 45th birthday
- L'Wren Scott was Mormon girl from one-horse town who won Mick Jagger
- Three teenagers charged with soliciting naked selfies of underage teen girls to post on Instagram
- 'Armed and dangerous' teenagers arrested after massive police hunt involving bloodhounds and helicopters was sparked when father was found shot dead
- Southern Baptist pastor under fire after church staffer dons blackface for boxing skit during 'fundamentalists conference' pleads ignorance
- Can the love hormone make you LIE? Researchers say oxytocin can increase dishonesty
- A 35-foot yacht, Caribbean vacations and the best education drug money can buy: NBC writer details the highs and lows of growing up with a marijuana mogul father
- A mother's grief: Heartbreaking moment a hippo finds her dead baby and guards it, howling in sorrow
- Japanese pianist Yoshiki plays with a hologram version of HIMSELF
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Man pictured at monster truck rally drinking can of beer and bottle of syrup because he's diabetic
- Josie Cunningham wants abortion so she can appear on Big Brother
- Cops hunting 'Joel' after he stole woman's TV and dog on first date
- Beverly Hills Hotel boycott over Sultan of Brunei's plan to stone gays
- First South Korea ferry victims' funerals are held today
- Star witness in 'hate preacher' Abu Hamza's trial recorded the cleric's confession to organizing Yemen terror plot
- Michael Jackson's bodyguards reveal the King of Pop's romances in tell-all book
- Kim Jong Un is mobbed by screaming female soldiers
- 12 gold bars found INSIDE Indian man who went to doctors complaining of stomach aches
- 'Her head was flat at the back and she cried all the time': Mother's anguish when doctor's misdiagnosed her daughter, deeming her 'too pretty' to have Angleman syndrome, which left her unable to speak