Bloomsbury Farm to appear on ‘The Today Show’
Bloomsbury Farm in Atkins hosted a crew from “The Today Show” over the weekend. The show’s crew toured the more than 3,000-acre farm filled with a pumpkin patch, zip-line, the Sugar Shack and acres of corn and soybeans.
“We were pretty surprised,” said Karen Petersen of when she found out the show would feature her farm. Petersen and her husband, David, own Bloomsbury Farm and Petersen Farm, a fifth-generation family operation.
Petersen said the show’s producers said the show will focus on traditional farms, like hers, that are venturing into alternative agricultural business — agri-tourism — and making their farm available for the masses. The segment would feature farms from across the country and will air sometime in October.
Agri-tourism is considered as activities provided by a local farm or agricultural operation to help involved and educate the public.
On Oct. 12, NBC’s Janet Shamlian, tweeted about her Iowa stop with an Instagram photo of a pumpkin patch.
“Started the day in NYC..now on an Iowa farm with @nbcnewscrew for @NBCNightlyNews,” she tweeted that afternoon.
Petersen used to operate Bloomsbury Farms as a landscaping business until a tornado hit in 2004, then the family decided to focus on expanding activities for the public.
Petersen said the idea also came from one of her daughter’s kindergarten class field trip to the farm. Petersen said more than 5,000 students visit the farm for class trips each season and a total of 30,000 a season adding other public visitors.
She said about 70 percent of their revenue still comes from traditional farming and 30 percent from their agri-tourism activities.
Aaron Steinmann, market and communications manager at Silos and Smokestacks National Heritage Areas, said interest has grown in agri-tourism for farmers and the public.
- See more at: http://hooplanow.com/2013/10/13/bloomsbury-farm-to-appear-on-the-today-show/#sthash.WLIEQdhQ.dpufMore than 40 percent of Iowa farms were involved in agri-tourism, according to a 2007 Census of Agriculture for National Agriculture Statistical Service.
“I’ve really seen it over the past five or so years become more of something people are looking to do,” Steinmann said.
He said Iowa is a state easily identified as a farm state and that often draws in people from other states.
“I think people are really looking for an authentic experience,” Steinmann said, adding more farmers are getting into the industry to share the history and culture of farms.
Petersen said she’s delighted for the opportunity to appear on the NBC morning show, which will shed light not only on her family’s livelihood but a way of life for many farmers.
“I’m pretty darn excited to bring some face to agriculture too,” she said. “Farming and agricultural have evolved so much.”
- See more at: http://hooplanow.com/2013/10/13/bloomsbury-farm-to-appear-on-the-today-show/#sthash.WLIEQdhQ.dpuf
Dutch chapter of children's rights group Terre des Hommes created 10-year-old girl and posed as her in internet chatroomsResearchers were approached by 20,000 predators from ...
- Bodi men compete to be the fattest in the village by drinking a gruesome mixture of blood and milk while living in isolation for SIX months
- Wael Ali dies: Man, 25, laid to rest next to the twin brother he stood trial for killing six years ago
- Newlywed Tim Bowers chooses to go off life support and die ONE DAY after he fell from tree and became paralyzed
- 8ft 5in and STILL growing: Rare condition means Robert, 24, is a prisoner in his own home - because he's grown out of his wheelchair
- Andy Lopez: Police only shouted once at teen carrying pellet gun before opening fire and killing him
- Pictures of Paul Walker as best man at brother's wedding weeks ago
- Widow of Dallas cop gunned down by JFK killer Lee Harvey Oswald shares letter Jackie wrote to her
- Mother murdered by Mingdong Chen in Brooklyn stabbing spree desperately called for help
- Want to live like JFK and Jackie? Virginia ranch house the couple built from scratch together goes on sale for $11MILLION
- Mystery of McStay money: Family found dead could barely afford rent despite $100k in bank
- Mable's War: Diaries of World War One nurse reveal lives of horrifically injured soldiers as she treated them back home
- Boston cop Pat Rogers commits suicide after being in Donnie Wahlberg's Boston's Finest series
- Mom, 4 young kids killed in NYC stabbing rampage
- World's first surviving septuplets turn 16
- Celebrity chef Guy Fieri testifies at trial of teen accused of stealing his 200,000 dollar yellow Lamborghini and attempting to murder teenage girl who spurned his advances
- Angry elephant flips mother hippopotamus into the air with its trunk as she tries to protect her calf
- Devin Kohlman, 13, with terminal cancer gets dying wish as town brings an early Christmas
- 15-Year-Old Killed in Johnson County Car Crash
- Worldwide broadband speed report puts UK in 9TH place
- Photographer Alisdair Miller climbs tallest skyscraper to take pictures of Dubai
- Child prostitutes on Brazil's Highway to Hell BR-116
- Norwegian Embassy sends Edvard Munch's The Scream baubles to decorate Washington's Union Station Christmas tree
- Broke hip-hop mogul Damon Dash abandoned his upstate New York mansion and 'left drugs, art, clothes and jewelry behind after failing to pay rent for 18 months'
- Bipolar Patrick Kennedy reveals the 'chemical sickness' that stalks America's first family
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Waterloo Police Searching for Man in Connection with Shooting
- Feds Back Most of Iowa's Medicaid Expansion Plan
- Firefighter can't forget look in man's eyes
- School board settles lawsuit on Sebring meeting
- Crews Tear Down Meth House In Washington, Warehouse Next
- More Snow on the Way
- Man charged after woman found dead in rural home
- Transportation Panel Approves Traffic Camera Rules
- Lessons from firefighters during our extreme cold snap
- Police: Man charged in porta-potty sexual assault