Record Cold Temps in Parts of Eastern Iowa
The continuing bitter cold has people hunkering down, such as at local homeless shelters, many of which are at or near capacity.
"I don't think anybody should be out there on a day like today, especially kids," said Roy Tucker, 56, who was staying at Shelter House in Iowa City on Tuesday.
Mark Sertterh, resident services director, said the 70-bed shelter was at capacity, and given the extreme conditions they are allowing additional people to use the lobby to warm up.
"We have not been turning people away," Sertterh said.
Tucker said he stayed in doors on Tuesday when early morning temperatures were blistering minus 15 and never rose above the low single digits. Others followed the typical policy of leaving the shelter from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., he said.
In Cedar Rapids, it was even colder.
KCRG-TV9 meteorologist Kaj O'Mara reports the minus 18 degrees in Cedar Rapids Tuesday morning tied the record low for Dec. 24 set in 1983, and it is the coldest temperature overall in nearly five years.
On Jan. 16, 2009, in Cedar Rapids it was minus 28 degrees, one degree shy of the all-time record set the day before.
While other parts of Eastern Iowa didn't shatter records, at minus 15 in Iowa City, minus 21 in Waterloo and minus 20 in Dubuque, it's safe to say it's been a cold day all around.
"It's been a long time since we have had it this cold," O'Mara said. "Unfortunately it seems like the pattern is going to continue with periodic bouts of cold weather."
Yet some faced parts of the day out doors.
The Bohr family of Cedar Rapids spent the afternoon bell ringing for the Salvation Army at the Wilson Avenue Hy-Vee. Bundled as if for the Arctic, Steve and Jennifer and their children — Brody, 15, Baxter, 11, and Ayva, 11 — also treated customers to Christmas carols.
In Iowa City, staff from Geoff's Bike and Ski used the relatively slow day to play around on winter bikes in the parking lot.
"We are just messing around," said Sam Cohen, a staff member, who along with three colleagues took turns trying to jump three-foot snow bank on a custom-built fat-tire tricycle. "We don't have a lot of customers, and we have these really awesome winter bikes."
Cohen even laughed it off when one of the jumps dumped him over in the snow.
While the Christmas Day forecast calls for an uptick to a high of 25 degrees and low of 10, with storms on the horizon every two or three days for the foreseeable future, this cold snap will be tough to break, O'Mara explained.
But those wishing for a white Christmas will be in luck. Light snow could accumulate to 2 to 3 inches — heavier in northern parts of Iowa — by morning, making for a fresh coating. Christmas travel is expected to be relatively safe.
"Most people are pretty adept at traveling in relatively light snow, as that would appear to be," said Gail Weinholzer of AAA Minnesota-Iowa. "People should be safe as long as they are allowing extra time, making sure their vehicle is well-maintained and driving appropriately.
"This isn't a blizzard. Most people can handle an inch or two."
Still, people should also be careful of non-vehicle related accidents, too.
The deep freeze is leading to packed emergency rooms in Cedar Rapids, including at least 20 people a day winding up in UnityPoint Health-St. Luke Hospital's emergency room after tumbling on icy roads, sidewalks and driveways in the past five days.
Woman is JAILED for not returning a video she rented NINE years ago - even though the store has now gone out of business
Kayla Michelle Finley rented Monster-in-Law as an 18-year-old but forgot to return inIn the interim nine years, video shop went out of business but warrant ...
- 'Wow I just won the Olympics': American Sage Kotsenburg wins first Sochi gold medal in Men's Slopestyle
- Fugitive Nazis who built a paedophile paradise in the sun
- Twitter's top swear words revealed: Researchers find one in 13 tweets contains a curse
- Pshonka's palace a treasure trove of total opulence: Journalists and protestors enter his estate to find extravaganza of luxury
- Producer's callous words as film shoot shuts down after female crew member is killed by train
- Amputee veteran turned away by Starbucks who won't let his service dog in store
- Rise of the me first mothers: Changing nappies in restaurants. Brazenly promoting their little darlings. CATHERINE OSTLER identifies an infuriating new breed of parent
- Texas teen Mackenzie Wethington, 16, survives half-a-mile skydiving mishap
- Sony World Photography Awards capture everyday struggles across the world
- Silvio Berlusconi divorces Veronica Lario, freeing Francesca Pascale to marry him
- Does your husband work long hours? Then you're the healthiest type of woman (providing you work too)
- Meningococcal disease outbreak feared at East Chapel Hill High School
- Jessica Hess stabs do-gooder 5 times at Redneck Yacht Club mud party
- Why being in a bad mood can make you focus on short-term gain
- 'Naked' NYU student Titan Lee-Hai leaps to death from dorm roof
- Female Bosnian judge fired after she was photographed sunbathing naked on desk
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Mom Kimberly Fugate who was expecting triplets gives birth to identical QUADRUPLETS after fourth baby wasn't picked up on ultrasound
- Oscars 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch photobombs U2 on the red carpet
- Woman cuts off a tattoo of her cheating ex-boyfriend's name with a scalpel and POSTS the skin to him after he told her he was emigrating to Alaska but instead moved in with another woman
- Nigerian father arrested for fitting PADLOCK to son's mouth as he beat him to death
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Ice skating sensation Yulia Lipnitskaya, 15, expected to draw Russia's biggest sporting TV audience for tonight's skate-off against South Korean Olympic champion
- Touching note little boy whose father died in war handed to soldier with $20 he found in a car park
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- UNI Still Searching for Answers After Possible Data Breach
- Court Avenue businesses owe money for summertime street patrols
- Commission Summoned Over Religious Image on Cedar Rapids Fire Truck
- University of Dubuque Students Shave for Cancer Awareness
- Iowa City School District Tax Rate May Increase
- University of Iowa Staff Receive Another Sexual Assault Report
- Dubuque Man Pleads Guilty to Federal Charge
- Child Testifies She Has No Memory of Sexual Abuse
- New Clinic Offers Concierge Medical Services
- Iowa Men's Basketball Coach Fran McCaffery Confirms Son Has Tumor on Thyroid